Monday, November 30, 2009

Lynn - Yes We Have No Bananas

That song kept going through my head all through breakfast:

1/2 cup oats cooked in 1 cup water with 2 TB cage free egg whites, 1 TB Ruth's Chia Goodness, and an organic persimmon. We didn't have any bananas in the house today - not even frozen ones (I usually keep some for us and Julius' kong) and they were definitely missed - the oats were a lot less creamy - in fact, they were almost crunchy!

With a pot of Creme Au Caramel Rooibos -

Today has been all about getting the house back to normal - I dragged myself to the gym with the promise that I would only have to do 1/2 an hour of cardio so I could tackle all the laundry, cleaning, etc. I had to restock on a lot more than just bananas so I hit the grocery store too. (We had watched "Food, Inc." last night so I was extra conscious of what went into my cart.)

Back home we had a huge pile of vacation mail waiting to be opened, including this package from Cyndi at The Best Damn Granola Company - apparently, they also make handcrafted soaps!

I chose the Chocolate Raspberry one, which came in this cute burlap sac -

Looks like someone already took a bite (it actually does look good enough to eat):

Smells heavenly, too. Can't wait to take a soak in it later. Thanks, Cyndi!

For lunch I made a salad with farmers market organic greens, shredded carrots, Galeo's World's Best Miso dressing, and some Applegate Farms Organic Genoa Salami:

Plus some Doctor Kracker Cherry Semolina Crisps on the side:

And s'more rooibos (I keep reusing the tea leaves):

Time to get unpacking! I took it easy yesterday so that I could recover from the travel exhaustion but I did find the energy to put up the Christmas tree! My birthday is December 24th, so I'm a bit of a freak about the holiday. I grew up with live trees and sentimental ornaments but since being on my own we've stuck to the fake tree we bought back in NYC, and I've started collecting my own tree trimmers throughout the last few years' travels:

A butterfly from Cambodia last Christmas...

...a Giraffe from South Africa...

And from this September's trip to South Dakota:

I'm so happy it's up!



share on: facebook

19 comments:

  1. I love it when ornaments have stories to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to catch up! that butterfly looks very pretty ! I love it!
    I watched the food.inc few days ago too, actually, it makes me a bit depressed! I am more scared than ever to eat chicken, pork, or any meat from non organic store!! but on the bright sides, now I know more about the food system in the U.S. , as for what to avoid and why should we go organic :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS butterfly, giraffe, and tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bday is on Christmas eve?!?! That is awesome! :) Well, actually, I have heard that some people either hate or love having a holiday bday. I guess it can either go really well or you could get really screwed! :) Hope it always so really well for you hun.

    Have a great week Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the package was there when you got back from your Thanksgiving holiday. Take a nice tubby and enjoy the bubbles.

    BTW I love reading your blog, we share alot of the same interests in food and where it comes from.
    I reuse my tea leaves too. :) A cup of tea with good leaves is great to sip on in the tub with the lights low, candles burning, and some Brandi Carlile on for music.

    Off to take my own advice.

    Have the best damn bath ever!!

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your decorations look lovely! You've had some amazing travels, it sound like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soap does look pretty tasty! ;) Your tree decorations are so cute--love the butterfly especially!

    Oh, and no bananas = bananas. Sorry, just had to say it... :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ornaments. That butterfly is beautiful! I feel bad for you having an Xmas birthday. That had to be hard as a kid.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ornaments! Your tree looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful ornaments! Gotta love the holidays!
    My daughter's bday is Xmas eve as well and I made a promise to always get her 2 gifts, not one just because her bday is so close to Xmas. So do you have 2 parties? Or do you celebrate your bday and Xmas together? Which do you prefer? It'd be nice to get your thoughts since you've been there, done that. I know if I ask my daughter she won't understand cause she's only 2. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I'm searching for diet related blogs like mine http://www.chiefdietician.com and I stumbled your site, nice blog!. I hope you could also include me in your blogroll.

    By the way, you have a very good writing skills here. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love collecting ornaments on trips... Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bananas do make oats creamy and amazing. Love your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I managed to put my tree up, too, after all my traveling! I love having it up. Love the lights! Love the season. I love pulling out all the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The ornaments are beautiful! Its an awesome thing to collect since each one has a different story to it. Great stuff!
    Those tea flavors you were talking about sounds amazing!! What company makes them? Smores roobios?! Yum!!!
    The soap look fantastic too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooo banana in the kong. great idea. my new roomie's dog DESTROYED penny's kong. i thought they were indestructible?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. NO BANANAS?!
    I think I always have a stash frozen, green, and yellow. Ready to go at anytime.

    "Almost crunchy." hehehe made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the salad!

    and your tree looks great, it's fun collecting ornaments from differnet places huh! :)

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your ornaments are really pretty. My mom also makes it a point to buy ornaments wherever she goes. It makes a good discussion topic during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete