About Us

My Photo
the life of a hollywood actress. meal by meal.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lynn - Yee Haw!

Before yesterday's student screening of "White on Rice," I consumed this PB and J sandwich (Nuttzo with TJ's Reduced Sugar Orange Marmalade 0n multigrain) that I'd made at home.

The screening was packed with about 300 students - the University, which sponsored the event (and my flight/hotel) did a really good job promoting it. Here's the poster one of the seniors drew:

His rendition of me and my co-stars cracked me up. I even got to keep it!

I was really pooped right after the screening so I decided to be anti-social and head straight back to my hotel. This was calling my name:

It was super comfy and had an adorable longhorn logo -

Then I ordered room service and hooked up a video i-chat session with Abe. Julius got very confused about where my voice was coming from:

I still wasn't feeling terribly hungry so I just got a bowl of chili. I left off the sour cream/cheese and just had the oyster crackers with it.

It was delicious - but where was the hot sauce? I liked dining "with" my husband.

An apple I'd snagged earlier from the hotel gym:

Some of my favorite childhood movies were playing on TV! "Annie:"

and when that was done, I switched to "The Wizard of Oz:"

What a lovely night. I noshed on a Flax Plus Pumpkin Granola Bar from Nature's Path right before I passed out about 10:30 pm.

I give this bar the same review I give their "pumpkin" cereal - pumpkin seed, yes, pumpkin flavor, no. Still tasty, though.

I wound up sleeping much later than I thought - when I woke up it was time to hit the gym, pack, and check out. Masashi, the Austin Asian American Film Festival Executive Director, was kind enough to take me to the flagship Whole Foods for a healthy meal.

Behold, the motherland:

I've been here once before, when I was in Austin 3 years ago, but I was still swept with emotion as I stepped through the doors. There were so many options, I was a bit overstimulated. They don't let you photograph inside, but I must tell you - it's beyond. BEYOND, PEOPLE!

I ate a bunch of samples inside before deciding on the simplest option - the salad bar. We sat outside in this beautiful area, where the atmosphere was almost like a party - they kept making announcements from inside the store and people were quite jolly.

I can't even remember what I got. Basically a little bit of everything:

After lunch, we headed over to the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz, where "White on Rice" had an already sold-out screening at 2pm scheduled.

The theater was so cool - they actually serve food there and even have tables so you can eat and watch.

After intro-ing the film, I had to hop right over to the airport to catch my flight, where I am actually blogging from now. Yay for free wi-fi (a gift from boingo for the holidays at select airports)! I've got a layover in Las Vegas in a few hours - crossing my fingers for internet access there as well.

If you're in Toronto, "White on Rice" will be playing at the Reel Asian Film Festival tomorrow, 5pm, at Innis Town Hall. I will obviously not attending that, but my director, David Boyle will. Thanks to the University of Texas and The Austin Asian Film Festival for taking such great care of me - it's been a whirlwind of a trip but a lot of fun.


share on: facebook

17 comments:

  1. LOOOOVE 'Annie' and 'Wizard of Oz'!!


    Wish I could come watch the film - I'll be supporting you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how exciting! yeah for modern technology that let's us connect with the loved ones even though we are far away! i love to put my hubby on speakerphone and confuse my sweet pup. two great flicks. what a relaxing evening. whole food is totally amazing! we have earthfare where i live and i wish there was a whole foods. have a safe trip back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know there was a pumpkin flax granola bar--definitely want to get in on that action

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Annie last night as well! Ordering in room service while you sit in the bathrobe is so underrated but so much fun. That's what I did when I went on my mini trip earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I think you eating dinner on Skype with Abe and Julius is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie AND the wizard of oz.. major nostalgia! sounds like someone had an incredible weekend thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sweet that you dine with your husband via webcam.

    I love the 'Wizard of Oz'... the show 'Wicked' is really good if you like the 'Wizard of Oz'. I could not get the tunes out of my head after watching the show. It was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to see Wicked too since I love the Wizard of Oz!

    Um yes this Whole Foods is getting a lot of press recently... I think I need to go to Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad White on Rice is doing so well in Austin! :)

    I hope you are having a nice trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trips sounds great... I too was watching Annie and the Wizard of Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh this was so cool! I totally checked out the website link the Austin Asian Am film festival! Life as an actress is so glamorous...even the part when you dined "with" the husband. I think that is a ridiculously sweet thing to do!! :) Just out of curiosity, what kind of multi-vitamins do you take?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Austin. I used to shop at that Whole Foods which was smack dab in the middle of my Austin stomping grounds. Love that you got to eat dinner with Abe. Ain't the internet grand?

    Congrats on the continued success of White on Rice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie and the Wizard of Oz are two of my favourite movies too :) In fact, I played the Annie soundtrack so much as a kid that I wore out the record!

    Hope you had a good flight back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wasn't the Whole Foods amazing? I could spend a whole day in there exploring. I hope you stole that bathrobe for me. Too cute! I can't believe I forgot to tell you to visit the Alamo Drafthouse. Slipped my mind but I'm glad you had a good time in Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How silly that they won't let you take photos. But I do love Whole Foods.
    I've never ordered room service. It sounds like a treat even though it probably doesn't taste that great. That bathrobe is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad the screening went well. There's something about staying at a hotel alone that is just so relaxing! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful trip! Also, I love vegging out with movies in Hotel rooms. The fact that you watched "The Wizard of Oz" and "Annie" makes it all the more better.

    ReplyDelete