Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lynn - Here's the Scoop

I didn't blog my meals yesterday, but I had to share a trip to one of my favorite places in Los Angeles from last night -

Scoops is a gelato place on Heliotrope and Melrose where they concoct the most tasty and unique creations. From "Olive Oil" to "Guinness Chocolate" to even "Foie Gras" - the menu can be weird but there are more "normal" flavors too. My fave is "Brown Bread," which tastes like Grape Nuts and caramel. But since my converting to a low-cholesterol diet, I have stuck to their vegan gelato and sorbet instead. Which is just fine, because it's ah-maaaa-zing....

My choice: Kids scoop of Banana Mango Pineapple sorbet and Almond Fig Soy Gelato. The price of heaven in a cup? TWO BUCKS.

I also sampled Abe's - "One scoop" (yes, it's actually more than one) of the Maple Oreo Soy Gelato. 75-cents more than mine.

Soy delicious.

I also heart Scoops because they let you sample as much as you want without giving you 'tude and they let you sprinkle nuts/jimmies for free (that's why my bowl is rainbowed). Plus, they're eco-conscious - recycling their plastic spoons and using glass containers if you're not taking your dessert to-go.

Another glorious night of sleep! I went to the gym this morning and made something new for breakfast -

After Christy's positive review of Jay Robb's protein powder, I wrote to them to see if I could get a few samples to try. Kathryn was kind enough to send them along right away - thank you!

I decided to make a smoothie soup. I felt like a smoothie, but I also wanted to eat something. So I compromised. I made a very slushy smoothie with the Jay Robb chocolate powder, using a ton of ice and a little bit of water and frozen pineapple.

I divided the "soup" into two bowls (even though the packet was just for one serving). Then I added some toppings.

Annie's sent us a coupon to try a free product, so I chose the most expensive item I could find -these Cocoa and Vanilla Bunnies cereal. I sprinkled a handful of these bunnies, along with 1/2 an organic plum and some honey glazed almonds -

I yelled for Abe to join me before breakfast melted. He was confused.

We both really enjoyed this! I loved the combo of coldness and crunch. The chocolate bunnies were like thin cocoa animal crackers. The Jay Robb powder was not as sweet as the Shakeology one I love, but it's a lot more affordable. Not surprisingly, I started getting hungry about 2 hours later (probably because I had split the packet with Abe). But I was in the midst of running errands so I didn't get a chance to eat until another hour had passed.

I went to The Grove to return some clothes and meet my friend Skye for an hour, then stopped by the post office to mail a few fan letters and return my old Sigg bottle - apparently the ones produced before 2008 have a lining with BPA. Uh oh. That's no good. But you can exchange your old bottle for new, non BPA one, if you fill out these forms and cover the postage yourself.

Bye-bye, BPA Bottle.

For lunch I decided I wanted to start using up my big bottle of vegan Bac'Uns that have been sitting in my pantry for months, so that inspired this salad:

Mixed organic greens, organic tomatoes, organic cucumbers, and Bac'Uns, with baked goguma (Korean Sweet Potato, that I cut into pieces, nuked for 2 minutes, then baked with cooking spray at 400 degrees for 10 minutes). Knowing maple goes well with "bacon" flavors, I made a dressing out of 1 tsp. maple syrup, 2 tsp. red wine vinegar, 1 tsp. yellow mustard, and 1 tsp. olive oil.

Toss all the ingredients together, divide into two bowls. Added some turkey for me, and some chickpeas for the vegetarian:

Some organic figs for dessert. See how one of them is cracking open with ripeness? That's how I like 'em.

Good news on the "White on Rice" front - we have done strong enough in Orange County to stay another week, and will continue to open in San Francisco and San Jose this weekend. The bad news is, we will be leaving the Sunset 5 as of Thursday night and moving to the Santa Monica Laemmle Saturday and Sunday for 11am showings only. So if you want to see the film Los Angeles, this may be your last chance!


share on: facebook

24 comments:

  1. I need to try out that place "scoop" looks delicious :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple oreo and Almond fig? I might have to buy a plane ticket just to go there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a cute name for an ice cream shop! looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I love gelato!! Those flavors sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, gelato is the best. Those flavors sound amazing, I love being adventurous with weird flavored foods.

    Those bunnies would be gone in a day in my house, I can't keep any snackable cereal in my cupboards. I only allow Kashi Go Lean because it's so difficult to eat straight from the box...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't been to Scoops! I need to go. Don't they do a tobacco or nicotine flavor or something (not that I would go for that!)?

    yay, Santa Monica showing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the food and treats and ice cream look so good! At first I was going to comment on the ice cream, then the smoothie soup, then the salads!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! So glad White on Rice is doing well :) I ove the Annie's- especially the honey bunny snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I love that you chose the most expensive Annie's item! And almond fig gelato?? I die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum- gelato for 2 dollars? SWEEET! Congrats with the success of While on Rice in Orange County!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We need a scoops in NYC!!!! That looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep wanting to buy the Honey Bunnies. No idea that Coco/Vaniall Bunnies even exsisted. You make them sound like cookies for breakfast, which can only be fabulous!

    That rocks that WOR is doing so well. I can't wait to get a chance to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sorbet/gelato flavors sound insanely good! And I'm so disappointed to hear that I've been drinking out of a liner with BPA - I thought that by switching from Nalgene I had gotten around that. Thanks for the info!

    Congrats on the White on Rice successes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love nice ice cream places where they don't make you feel bad about trying as many flavors as you want.

    mmmm loving that smoothie in a bowl and those gorgey salads!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is a bargain at Scoops! Foie gras gelato? Good lord! Don't think I'll be brave enough to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guinness chocolate! Must be amazing....I'm from Ireland you know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Figs are the fruit of gods! I love it!

    I usually just like a bowl of cereal after a workout or yoga so that soup looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the success of your movie!! I was pretty shocked when I heard about the Sigg's news too. Luckily, I got mine at Whole Foods and they let me exchange my old one for a new one and Sigg is going to compensate WF 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I can't believe about the Sigg bottles - I'll have to return mine too. I thought I was safe with a metal bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Scoops sound like heaven! I tried looking for some Jay Robb powder at whole foods the other day and couldn't find it. Hrmmm, I'll keep checking around because I would like to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That gelato sounds divine! And free toppings?! That's practically unheard of!

    I really want to try Jay Robb. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some of those gelato flavors are pretty interesting!! I love the smoothie soup - I usually don't make smoothies because I prefer to eat things so maybe I'll have to give that a shot!

    Congrats on your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you're truly into artisanal gelato, please head out to Bulgarini's in Alta Dena. It's far superior to anything Scoops is churning. Scoops is hype. Bulgarini is Italy.

    ReplyDelete