About Us

My Photo
actor. blogger. activist. www.lynnchen.com

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lynn - Leaving Las Vegas

Why did I feel hungover Wednesday morning?  I got plenty of sleep but was terribly groggy as I trudged through my morning workout at the gym (30 minutes on the elliptical, 25 lower body weights, 5 stretching).  I hadn't touched a drop of alcohol or even a single slot machine - and yet I was feeling a very Vegas-y morning.

We packed up our bags and I slathered on some sunscreen for the 4 hour ride back.  In case you're wondering, I use Coppertone Water Babies.  

I've discovered, through babysitting, that it's the least greasy.  There are organic, chemical-free brands I like, but when I need some serious body coverage this stuff is the most economical.

Another bowl of Kashi Vive and Organic Rice Milk with the remaining half of my apple from yesterday -

A little more paper reading...

And we were off!  We listened to one of my favorite albums of all time, The Pixies' Doolittle, which I found on cassette tape in Abe's car.  Cassette Tapes!!!  Some of my blog readers may not even know what the heck those are!

We stopped in Baker, where they had Alien Fresh Jerky - whatever that is -

And the world's largest thermometer -

Abe got a veggie burger and fries from the Mad Greek's Drive-Thru, which he proclaimed to be delicious.  I had my leftovers from last night, kept fresh in our ice-packed cooler -

The waitress from Bouchon had thrown in some extra bread - how sweet is she?  It was rock hard but still tasty.  Everything was still good, just not as wonderful as it was in its original state.  Cold chicken conjures up so many memories of growing up.  I never have leftover drumsticks lying around the fridge these days.   I removed the skin again. 

An organic red plum -

And 2 green pills, a fish oil supplement, calcium chew, and a chocolate tootsie pop.

We picked up Julius, who was already at the gate when we pulled up.  He recognized us right away.

Reunited!

I gave him a bath the second I got back.  Who knows what he's been rolling around in since Monday!

He likes to roll around in a towel to dry off -

So much to do!  I decided to prep ahead and make dinner so I wouldn't have to think about it later -

Abe's leftover artichoke hearts, chickpeas, whole wheat cous cous cooked in veggie broth, and canned beets.  Combined with some salt and pepper and shoved in the fridge.

Lots of acting stuff to do - I had an appointment to talk with my theatrical agent about PR stuff, acting class homework, and some prep work for a series regular role on Friday.  Auditions are finally starting up again - of course, while I was gone I had my first two in almost a month - both of which I had to pass on.  Typical acting karma.

Pre-dinner snack of pumpernickel pretzels -

Look what came while we were gone!  A bunch of coupons from Stonyfield -

Thanks Kristina!

And Stevia galore!!!

Wow, NuNaturals!  When Ron contacted us and said you'd send us some products to try, I had no idea it would be this bounty of goods - am quite speechless with your generosity!

(I hope I like stevia - the last time I tried it I wasn't a fan so we'll see!)

I kept on working away (still haven't unpacked, eek!) and suddenly hunger hit me - bam!  Good thing dinner was already done!  I added some Galeo's World's Best Miso Ginger and Wasabi dressing to my bowl -

And started scarfing it down.  Midway through I realized I hadn't snapped a pic - which is why this one is so blurry -

For dessert - Passionfruit Sorbet, Stonyfield's Chocolate Fro Yo and Kashi Vive -

With 2 green pills, a flax seed oil supplement, calcium chew, and peanut ginger chew.

OK - time to unpack, study my lines, shower, and catch up on blogs!  It's good to be home!


share on: facebook

17 comments:

  1. Kristina sent me the same Stonyfield Farm package! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love cold chicken! Yum.

    I love Stonyfield yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julius is so cute!

    Glad you arrived home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner looks delicious - I love artichoke hearts! I'm adding them to the grocery list now..

    Can't wait to see what you think of the stevia. I've been hearing so much about it and am debating on buying some for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, it does feel good to be home, doesn't it? I love to go away for a couple of days but coming back is marvelous. It really makes me appreciate home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay for acting gigs - i'm sending you LOTS of good karma. i want to visit alien jerky - that sounds like a FUN time.

    yay for beets - LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute and happy puppy! :)And I'm having cold chicken for lunch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have fond childhood memories of eating my mother's fried chicken straight from the fridge the next day. I am a very good cook, but never make fried chicken...one because I don't eat the southern fried way any more...two because mine never measured up to my mom's.

    Cassettes, huh? When MJ died, I had a flash memory of driving around with a high school friend, listening to "Thriller"...on an 8-Track!

    Good Luck on up coming auditions...including the ones you don't yet know you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that kashi vive cereal, mainly because it has calcium and a sweet vanilla flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's so funny they have the world's largest thermometer! Who'd a thunk?? lol. Your cereal looks so good! Nothing beats a bowl of that for bfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, love your site. I too love the Pixies - Dolittle especially - it's what I listen to when I met my hubby 20 years ago. Can't wait to learn your eating habit. Can I still drink wine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dinner reminds me of my favorite cous cous I've ever tried! Whenever my parents would come up from Florida to visit me I'd have them bring a few tubs of it. They only sold it at this one Whole Foods too. I wanted to make it myself, but they listed the spices as just "spices". Gosh! It didn't have beets though, but if it did.. I think it might be the best thing ever!

    My puppy also gave us a warm welcome home :) Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, your puppy is so adorable. I miss my doggie :(

    Glad you had a good trip and a safe ride home. Good luck with your to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad to end a good vacation. I haven't been to Vegas in years but it's a fun way to spend a few days.

    What is your method for learning lines?

    ReplyDelete
  15. loved the vegas recaps! and coming home to a pup is theeee best. welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pumpernickel pretzels! I bet those are awesome! Glad you had a good time in Vegas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find the new Neutrogena line called Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch line to be fairly non-greasy. The Cooling Mist is pretty nice too but I mainly use it for legs. Maybe you can check it out for your next trip out in the desert :]

    ReplyDelete