Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lynn - In Frozen Desserts We Trust

Happy Hump Day everyone!  

Though since I don't have a real job, I feel a little silly saying that....

Today's breakfast and lunch were a lot like yesterday's, so I didn't bother taking pix.  I went to the gym in the morning and for some reason had a lot more trouble running this time so I did a walk/run combo.

Before I went to go do some errands, I locked myself out of the house.  Woops.  

Luckily my landlady lives down the street and had a spare key.  I went to Whole Foods, where I spent more money on a single bag of groceries than I do on four at Trader Joe's.  But I did get some goods I can't get at TJ's - 

Quorn Chik'n Patties.  We had these for dinner - baked for 20 minutes in the toaster oven.  

With Ezekiel bread, mustard, spinach, and frozen brussels sprouts (nuked and tossed with honey mustard dressing, salt, and pepper)


Abe and I were so excited to watch this tonight - 

It was the Throwdown with Bobby Flay against the restaurant owner of Mama Testa Taqueria, where Abe and I ate last month in San Diego.

I won't tell you who won...but you can watch for yourself this week - I believe the show is rerunning....

A red plum.  I like my plums firm.  Dunno why.

Then: fish oil, calcium, and ginger chew.

I was satisfied, but my mind kept thinking of my other Whole Foods purchases:

365-Brand Passion Fruit Sorbet and Stonyfield Farm's Organic After Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt.

Ordinarily, I would say to myself, "You're not hungry, so...no."  But in light of The Special K Treatment's Trust Yourself project, I decided to reevaluate.  Why was I depriving myself of something I wanted?  Afraid of gaining weight?  Leading to a binge?  No, I trust myself enough to know I can "handle" the "consequences" of "giving in" to my desires.  

(Sorry for the obnoxious amount of air quotes.)

So I had a scoop of each, topped with some Zoe's Granola.

Really really really really really really good stuff. 

Another peanut ginger chew later and I'm feeling groovy.  

Check out the NY Times Consults Blog for free eating disorder advice this week!  I may ask a question of my own....

Giveaways: Danica's Daily, Health Happiness and Hope, Yogiclarebear and The Actors Diet (that's us!)



share on: facebook

25 comments:

  1. Love quorn!

    Going to check out the blog post now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are taking on Special K's challenge, and wonderfully too :)

    LOL I get 2 full bags at TJ's for a quarter of the price for 2 bags at Whole Foods. Sigh, but I still do love the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw the first part of that throwdown! but i didn't catch the end. the food looked bangin. i will have to catch the rerun, i am sure it will be on a zillion times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy those chik'n patties for my kids and they L.O.V.E. them. And I like that they aren't chicken. They are pretty tasty too, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really needed this post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the realization about the ice cream!!! Way to go!! So truth! It looks so yummy!!!

    I love Bobby Flay!!!

    Have another greay day!! :) dont forget your keys.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Stoneyfield frozen yogurt looks delicious! I'm a huge fan of anything dark chocolate.

    I just entered your giveaway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dark chocolate! I had that a few weeks ago and it was gone in 2 days. Eeeeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always feel bad for the restaurant owners when they get beat out by Bobby Flay. It seems so embarrassing!

    I like the thought process behind the ice cream choice. When I start debating stuff like that I always say to myself "I didn't gain weight by having a piece of chocolate after dinner, I gained weight by having half a chocolate bar, after a dinner of nachos, then followed it with three beer." Then I realize how silly I'm being and have the damn dessert! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos on the dessert decision! And thanks for the link to the NY Times blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was a good throwdown, huh? We watched it, too. I really wanted some fish tacos last night after seeing that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I served my boyfriend one of those "chicken" patties for dinner once and didn't tell him it was fake chicken. He never even noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Ezekial bread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to try the Chik'n Patties. Looks like a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ya just can't deny yourself a bit o' the ice cream - looks soooo good! love me some throwdown, quorn and ezek bread - good eats dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm lucky enough to have a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in my town (in fact they are only a block from each other!) I do agree, you can buy TONS more at Trader Joe's, but I still like going to Whole Foods for special stuff. I haven't tried a few of the things you mentioned, so thanks for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quorn patties are the best! I've gotta try that dark chocolate froyo, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM to dinner and dessert! I definitley think you should have cool desserts in the summer and you picked healthy ones to boot :)

    Thanks for the Annie's contest shout out and for twittering it - it all counts! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yay! I love qorn products! and that dessert looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They filmed the Throwdown right near my work but I didn't go over to check it out! I'm kicking myself now...so fun to see the hometown food represented! Although my BF was yelling that Mama Testa's fish tacos wasn't "authentic" enough for him and he's such a snob that I don't think I'll get him to take me there...which is a shame because as you know it's SO GOOD! I'll have to just go by myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dude your ice cream always looks so good and I think it's awesome that you always venture out and diversify. I wanna try all of them now too!

    Also I think it's great that you're so open about your past with eating disorder and how you're dealing with it nowadays! Such a great example for many! Hope they've gotten a chance to land on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the blog link. I really want to check it out.
    And lovethe sorbet/ice cream combo. Have you ever had real passion fruit? I tried it recently and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm, what a yummy dessert. I'm so glad you listened to your craving. We all need a little ice cream now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ughh Whole Foods price tag.. I only get special items there too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like Quorn products- I often buy the chik'n breasts to cut up and add to my salads.

    ReplyDelete