About Us

My Photo
the life of a hollywood actress. meal by meal.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lynn - Happy B'day Dear America, Happy B'day to You!

Happy Independence Day!

We started off the day with a hike and a light breakfast -

1/2 a mango, 1/2 a banana, a heaping TB of plain fat free yogurt, and a drizzle of agave.  We're going to a BBQ soon and I want to have an appetite!

I got started on the salad I'm bringing.  First, I washed all the veggies -

We just saw "Whatever Works" yesterday, and Larry David's character kept singing "Happy Birthday" whenever he washed his hands.  So, I sang it to America while cleaning my produce.

I deseeded a large cucumber, four plum tomatoes, and two green bell peppers, chopping them into bite size pieces -


Then, I had an idea of what to do with all the leftover cucumber/tomato seeds!  I'm sure I'm not the first person to ever think of this, but I've never seen it done before...I made a dressing out of the veggie seeds, some olive oil, dried dill, german mustard, the juice and zest of one large lemon, salt and pepper: 

Mixed in my mini Cuisinart.  It made a VERY thin dressing.  But it tasted good so I poured it over the veggies and added some chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley:

And some crumbled fat-free feta:

It's sitting in the fridge now, waiting to be taken to the BBQ.  In the meantime, I started blogging, and Abe started drinking.  I don't drink alcohol but I had a sip since it sounded so good.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat Beer -

Gotta change outa these stinky hiking clothes!  Happy 4th of July!


share on: facebook

11 comments:

  1. That salad looks great! And I just so happened to buy cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers yesterday! I think that might have to be my project for tomorrow. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th of July. Have fun hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love singing and cooking at the same time :D. Oooh salad dressing sounds fabulous, and love greek-style salad. Mmmmm. Happy 4th to you too, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog...what a cool premise! Can't wait to keep reading. Happy 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th to you! That veggie wash looks like a good product. I'll have to check it out. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 4th of July!! That cherry wheat beer sounds yummy! I love trying different beers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th! I hope you have a great day and lot's of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your salad looks perfect and refreshing. Mmmm I LOVE Sam Cherry Wheat. Good choice, Abe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your salad looks great. I have to try the salad dressing; great idea! :)

    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy 4th!
    I thought that tomato seeds cause appendicitis. I looked it up and found it untrue.

    on lowering cholesterol levels: drink yellowgrass tea and eat grapefruit. The tea always worked for my mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not much of a drinker, but when I do, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is my alcoholic beverage of choice!

    ReplyDelete