Thursday, July 9, 2009

Lynn - Chew, chew

Lunch didn't hold me over for very long; about 3 hours later I felt hungry, with a full-on stomach pang 1/2 an hour later. I broke into my sandwich around 5pm, and ate about half of what was left of these:


Plus a bruised little nectarine


Fish oil, green pills, calcium gummies, and a ginger chew

I packed the rest of the pretzels and this big peach for class -


Then I took Julius on a 40-minute walk before leaving. I listened to one of my favorite podcasts, Lipgloss and Laptops, and was sad to hear one of the hosts announce she's leaving the show. I've been listening to their episodes for a long time (all 138 of them). I even got a chance to have lunch with them when I was in Vancouver a few years ago. The podcast is about beauty products, beauty culture, and the cosmetics industry. I'll be really sad not to have both my ladies with me on my walks; I do hope the show will continue.

Anyhoo, acting class was good. I'm trying to keep an open mind about all the new concepts and put aside all the stuff I've already learned, habits I've already formed.

I didn't eat the pretzels, but I did have my peach at the end of class, around 9:30pm. Followed by a ginger chew, of course.

A note about the chews - the reason I am so habitual about the ginger chew/lollipop thing after meals and snacks is because it is a big part of how I stopped binge eating. Having a ritual helps me slow down and gives my mind/body a chance to catch up with one another, kinda to signal that eating is over. For years I smoked cigarettes, then I quit and switched to hard candies. It may come off as OCD, but it's an addiction. I've thought it might be tedious to repost every single time I have a one but I want to be honest! I realize it's not ideal to be consuming so much sugar but it's a LOT better than the binge-y feeling I get when I don't have it. And beats the hell outa cigarettes too!

That said, I'm going to experiment with cutting down on the chews. Once upon a time, I used to chew gum in addition to everything else but I've managed to stop that. We'll see how it goes!



share on: facebook

15 comments:

  1. I like that idea about slowing down to think if you are full or about to binge. I need that I have a hard time stopping when I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it! the slowing down idea is a good one, and it's so easy to NOT Think about that.

    I do love those ginger chews, though. They're awesome and so spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having a lollipop and a ginger chew is a genius way to signal to your brain that eating is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of replacing "bad" habits with healthier ones. Overall, I think the ginger chews are a good idea. But if you feel you should cut back a bit, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes you just have to realize that if something works for YOU, like eating a ginger candy instead of smoking, there are probably a lot worse things out there. cut yourself some slack, and enjoy!

    happy friday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever works for you girlie is for the best :) Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your idea of eating a little sweets to signal an end of a meal is a great idea. I've actually incorportated that technique myself. It really does work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think if it works for you, it's great! In my opinion, a piece of candy after each meal is not a big deal, and the amount of sugar is minimal. I believe those chews have 4g of sugar each? Nothing compared to binging or smoking!

    I have a piece of dark chocolate to end my meals to...sometimes I have a little too much dessert/snacking afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the chews and lollipops is a great way to stop binge eating. Another thing you can try (which I need to do more of) is brushing your teeth after you finish eating. I usually do not want to eat right after my teeth are all clean-clean and I have a minty taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kinda like the idea that there's a chewable signal to the fact that a meal is over. For me, it's my nightly piece of dark chocolate (I never remember to photo it for my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to smoke too and always feel like I need a little something to end a meal. Right now, it's a sugar-free werther's original. Sometimes a square of dark chocolate. I think you should do whatever works for you. A ginger chew is a lot better than a lot of the alternatives :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those ginger chews are addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually have been stealing this idea from you for the past week or so, and I really like it! I don't chew the chews (because they stick to my teeth!) but sucking on them gives me enough time with my mouth occupied to wind down my ed mind a bit and start thinking about something other than food. Thanks lady!

    I understand wanting to cut back though. If I am home I usually just brush my teeth right away, but the chews are helpful when I am out or if I can't get to a toothbrush right away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the podcast info. I've never heard of it. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is wonderful news. I have been having the ginger chew(s) after dinner and they have really helped me as well, but I'm glad to read about someone else's experience with the habit! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete