Sunday, July 5, 2009

Christy - No Brakes and No Kefir

As you probably guessed from the title, I checked on my Coconut Kefir this morning and it did not turn out right :( It still tastes sweet, not the sour tangy flavor of the kind that you buy at the store. I am really bummed - this is my 5th try. If anyone out there is really good at making kefir, let me know the secret!! I think the problem might be that the temperature shifts in my apartment so it does not stay warm enough to ferment the coconut water. The next step may be to consider getting a dehydrator so I can keep the temperature constant.

Here is what it looked like when I opened it

(same as before):

Bummer!!

Now on to the no brakes part of the story: My husband and I went up to Big Bear today to spend the day with some friends on their boat. When we were driving home from the lake, we were headed down the mountain on a long, curvy road for about 45 minutes and all of the sudden we lost our brakes! No joke, we were flying down the curvy road with no brakes! Had I been driving, I'm not sure we would have made it but luckily my husband was able to use the emergency brake and lower gears to get us stopped just before the curve. We were shaking. Before long, a really nice officer came to help us to an emergency turn out section where we were safer and we called to tow truck. While we were waiting the officer explained that this kind of thing happens a lot. When drivers ride their brakes on the way down the hill, they eventually overheat and stop working. If you let them cool for a while, they will start working again. Instead of riding the brakes to slow down, you should instead use a lower gear which will slow down the car without the brakes.

We waited for the tow truck for 45 minutes and by the time he got there, we discovered that the officer was right - our brakes were working again!! The tow truck followed us to the bottom of the hill and we drove the rest of the way to Los Angeles. It was a good ending to a scary situation. We were so lucky and feel so grateful.

We were late getting home and there was no time to cook, so we decided to get our favorite pizza and salad for take out. Z Pizza. They use organic ingredients and it always tastes really fresh. We always get the Berkley soy pizza. It has zucchini, onions, mushrooms, peppers, soy burger and soy cheese.


And they have an amazing arugula salad with grilled onions, walnuts and shaved parmesan cheese in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

This was just the right comfort food to settle us from the day!

The lessons of the day: get some advice on making coconut kefir at home and always use the lower gears on your way down a mountain!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

share on: facebook

15 comments:

  1. that's crazy! I'm glad everything turned out okay - I would have been freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds really scary about your car! glad you are okay!

    No kefir advice- am trying to figure out a way to keep a constant temperature to make oatgurt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that must have been scary! I'm glad you guys are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that pizza totes looks good - i love a good mess of unexpected ingredients. sorry about the kefir - i was really anxious to see how it was going to turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! I'm so happy you both are okay and made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry the kefir didn't turn out right. I'm so glad your scary brake situation turned out well!!!

    The pizza and arugula salad look great. At least you had a great meal to end an eventful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! AH! So glad you made it safely - that sounds terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. So glad you made it down safely. That would have terrified me. Your pizza looks fantastic!!! My friend is an actress and very into healthy eating (not starving) as well. I'll be sure to forward her your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that is awful about your car....but, you definitely picked a fantastic pizza and salad to make it all better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if this would work with Kefir, but I do this when I make yogurt. pre-heat the oven to 100 degrees (mine only goes as low as 120, so that works too). After it's preheated, turn the oven off, wrap the bottles of kefir in a kitchen towel (for insulation), and put it in the oven with the door closed. For yogurt, I leave it like that overnight and it comes out all yogurty in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG what a scary ride! glad both of you are okay! sorry your kefir didn't turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes. What a scary situation to be in. Glad that you and your husnad are okay. Bummer about the kefir. Maybe trying to make it with kefir grains instead of mix powder? I don't know where one would get kefir grains tho.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried keifr but it sounds great!
    that pizza looks sooo delicious :) thats really cool that they use all organic ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww bummer! I kept looking back on the blog to see if there was any news on the attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, scary about the brakes! Glad you made it back home safe and sound. That's good to know about the lower gear. Thanks for the tip!

    I"ve been playing around with fermenting different foods, and I always keep mine next to my Costco HeatDish (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11333681) set to low. Works great! Sorry about the kefir - but, I agree with you. I bet it's the change in temperature.

    ReplyDelete