About Us

My Photo
the life of a hollywood actress. meal by meal.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Christy - Coconut Kefir

Tonight's dinner was soooo good!! We went to Whole Foods and they had wild caught salmon on special so we got a couple of small pieces of that and added some stone ground mustard on the top after we had seared them. With it, we had some steamed asparagus spears from the farmer's market. It was so light and flavorful. I think the mustard was key.

Then after dinner I decided to attempt to make my own coconut kefir again. I have a bit of an obsession with kefir because the health benefits are so great. I don't really eat dairy though so the dairy kefir is always a bit heavy for me. So I often get coconut kefir instead. But it is incredibly expensive - $13 for a small bottle that lasts a couple of days.

Back in the winter I tried to make my own since everyone says it is so easy. Well, I failed 4 times! Maybe it is because my apartment doesn't get any direct sunlight so it stays pretty cool. So I gave up on it for a while. But since it is summer and things are a little warmer around here, I decided to go for it again.

I start with some coconut water - it takes 4 cups (1 quart).

And a kefir starter packet from Body Ecology Diet. You can order it online or get it from Erewhon if you are in Cali.

You put the coconut water in a pan to heat to skin temperature. (Note: make sure to sterilize everything you use really well or it will contaminate the batch)

Once the coconut water has heated, empty the package of starter into the water and let it dissolve. Then pour the mixture into an airtight container to let it sit for 3 days.

After 3 days it should start to form little bubbles and get a sour smell.

We shall see....


Also, I am so excited because I got to do a guest blog on Keep It Simple Foods and it was just posted. Thank you so much Jennifer and Jessica!

Take a look at the post when you get a chance at this link.




share on: facebook

15 comments:

  1. I've never hed kefir, but the fact that you made your own is so cool! I hope it turns out great!

    And that dinner looks simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard about coconut kefir! That dinner looks so yummy - I love mustard, salmon and asparagus, all together? YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to make my own coconut kefir. Looks so simple. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making kefir from coconut water is a great idea, let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that sounds so exciting! BOTH the kefir and the guest post! Congrats, and I can't wait to see the results of the coconut kefir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salmon and asparagus is a great combination!

    I'm very interested in how the kefir turns out. I used to eat a lot of kefir but haven't lately...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that kefir sounds pretty rad! I've never thought about a coconut kefir before. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of coconut kefir before and I had no idea it was so expensive! What a wonderful idea!!! I can't wait to see the results :)

    -Katharina

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. http://www.bodyecology.com/coconutkefir.php

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool blog! Thanks for the comment and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the guest post and the dinner! Can't wait to see how the kefir turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far it looks good, I think - it looks the same.

    April - Kefir is a fermented drink that is rich in good bacteria and helps with digestion. It can be made with milk or coconut water. Here's the wikipedia link with information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir. Body Ecology Diet has tons of info too, and they are the ones that make the kefir starter kits.

    Dairy Kefir tastes a little like a stronger yogurt. And coconut kefir is a bit sour and bubbly but I like it. It actually helps me sleep at night too!

    I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting idea for kefir. I've only tried kefit a few times. I used it in smoothies rather than drinking it straight. I liked it in the smoothie but don't know that I'd like it straight. I'm very picky with dairy products.

    ReplyDelete