About Us

My Photo
actor. blogger. activist. www.lynnchen.com

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lynn - Pretty Young Things, Repeat After Me

We haven't done much today and I couldn't be happier.

While blogging/web surfing I munched on some cherries -

While listening to MJ on vinyl -

and continued the cherry theme with a tootsie pop.

I found myself jumping up and boogie-ing for a number of songs - I couldn't help myself!  I mean, I wasn't moonwalking or anything, but I rarely get up and dance spontaneously around the living room.  Abe reminded me I shouldn't dance with a lollipop in my mouth.  

Good call.

We took a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood - the weather was just gorgeous.  When we got back, I made dinner.  In honor of Michael:

P.Y.T. (Pretty Yummy Tasty) Salad -

 In one pot, cook 1 cup quinoa in veggie broth.  In another, cook 3/4 cup lentils with a bay leaf. In a pan, caramelize a chopped red onion over low heat with olive oil and salt and pepper.   While all that stuff is working, bring yet another pot of water to boil, prep/wash green beans, and cut them into small pieces.

I rarely cook anything with more than 2 burners, and this required 4 -

Once the water comes to a boil, drop in the string beans for about 5 minutes and immediately shock them with cold water.  Then make some dressing with yellow mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

As everything finishes cooking, season/dress each layer.  Since the string beans were already done, I started with them - coat with 1 TB of dressing and some salt and pepper.

Do the same thing with the quinoa, then the lentils (get rid of the bay leaf!) and finally, the caramelized onions (which probably won't need salt).  It'll look like this:

The whole process takes about an hour.  This giant bowl serves 4.

But we only needed 2:

Pretty Yummy Tasty, indeed.  I bet the leftovers will be divine tomorrow, once all the ingredients have gotten a chance to know each other better.

We ate outside, listening to the sprinklers.  Back inside, I had a donut peach, followed by a calcium and ginger chew.

While watching Huell Howser.  If you live in Los Angeles, you might know who he is...but most likely not.  He hosts a number of travel shows on PBS.  I find him quite entertaining.  Apparently, he's been doing this a while.

I've seen him in person a few times, on the main street near where I live.  He's interviewed my local dry cleaning lady.  He's said hello to Julius before.  But that mic has never been shoved in my face.  YET.

Dessert, continued -

Fresh figs with TJ's Tart Fro Yo.  I had another ginger chew after.  Chew, chew.

Man, these pix are weird.  I think I pressed a button adjusting the colors on the camera.  Gotta adjust them right back!

Off to finish watching the BET awards - what in the world is going on with Beyonce's skirt?!



share on: facebook

16 comments:

  1. That's so cool you still have a record player. I had that same Thriller LP and listened to it over and over and over as a little kid. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy recipe! ill have to try that soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love PYT--pretty young things! Such a good song and makes me wanna jam every time I hear it. haha.

    That pasta salad also looks really bangin' as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks really good! And veggie friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful eats! that quinoa dish sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pretty Yummy Tasty dish does live up to its name--looks absolutely delicious!! I've seen the tart froyo at TJ's and must check it out, since I'm such a huge fan of froyo :). I've never had fresh figs before, they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, that salad looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dinner looks goood! And so do those cherries. Are they a yellowy colour? I've only ever had red cherries before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam - yup, even though the colors on this pic are a bit wonky, those cherries are indeed yellow. rainier, they are called, i believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bowl of cherries looks so good! I just had some on top of frozen yogurt yesterday- the cherries were definitely the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm dinner that leave leftovers are the best! And I haven't had a tootsie pop in ages, but now I really want one! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, the quinoa and lentil salad looks amazing, and really flavorful with all that textures and colors!
    And lol I'm imagining you dancing about with a cherry lollipop in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I'm impressed that you still use vinyl. I'm with you on making stuff that's too involved, but that green bean dish looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. 4 burners? That's impressive! I'm usually a 2 burner gal as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW to the quinoa bean thang. love love love the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, all your fruit looks so lovely! All fresh and colorful! I love the cherries, I've never seen them so yellow before. And the fresh figs... mm!

    ReplyDelete